Beatty Secondary School
Applied Learning Programme
BEATTYIANS THINK. CREATE. INNOVATE
At Beatty Secondary School, nurturing Thinkers, Learners and Contributors takes centre stage in our Applied Learning Programme (ALP) with a focus on Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
Beyond imparting content knowledge and skills such as coding, we strongly belief in inculcating values that will prepare our students for the future. Through our programme, undergirded by Design Thinking, a design methodology to develop creative strategies to resolve pressing issues, our students can uncover innate talents and abilities, promote ingenuity as well as develop resilience that are invaluable life skills.
Embracing the Future Digital World with a Design Mindset
In line with Singapore’s Smart Nation vision, part of the programme develops digital literacy in students with an exposure to coding and basic computing knowledge. This will equip them with sound foundation to prepare them to embrace and ride the wave of the digital world. To complement the coding skills, our students are guided to adopt a design mindset, focusing on solutions in creating an outcome of choice through project-based learning.
Head, Heart and Hand Approach
Our programme adopts the Head, Heart and Hand approach to encourage students to think, create and innovate with experiential learning through the projects that they embark on. It is imperative that besides developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, we instil the value of empathy in students.
The emphasis of projects is guided by this learning goal and aimed at ‘Smart Living’ to ease day-to-day issues faced by people in the community.
- Programming with Micro:bit (Secondary One)
- Creating projects using Design Thinking as a problem-solving methodology to solve real-world problems for ‘Smart Living’ (Secondary Two)
- Project Showcase (Secondary Two)
Learning Journey / Workshop/ Enrichment
- IMDA Lab on Wheels visit @ Beatty (Secondary One)
- Learning Journey to Google Singapore (Selected Secondary Two girls)
- Learning programming through card game (Secondary One)
- STEAM @ Central Singapore CDC (Selected students)